Tuesday 31 July 2007

What a battle

Well, I have managed to win three races in the last week, brings my yearly total to 4, same as last year, just need to keep winning, starting from this friday, as I will be in Abergavenny for a round of the National Criterium series and at present I am hovering in tenth place overall, which is not good for me, have missed 3 rounds though so can catch up a little I hope.
Legs need a massage as they feel tight after tonights race at Crystal Palace, been racing but haven't been able to do any sort of recovery ride between to loosen my legs, still managed another win tonight, this time we had a larger field and more attacking riding, maybe the sunshine encourages more people to have a go.
I sat in at the back to see if anyone would make the most of my absence by escaping the bunch, no just lots of chasing each other down, so I decided to sit on the front and hold a steady fast pace, to see if people would attack me, which they duly did but I always had a free ride back as the elastic never broke, eventually a group got away without me, let them get a reasonable lead before bridging across which I did, allowed myself a few laps to do this which meant I was able to collect a couple of riders who had been dropped and tow them back to the break, I think we had about 11 away which is to many so needed another selection, This time it came from Matt Seaton and Sam Humpherson who used the fact that we were about to lap the threes and four race and sneak away in the confusion, so I set about helping them, which meant a big effort was required to get away from the group and ride up to the two in front, when I went past Matt he went "Oh no" but got my wheel and we were the same three away as a last week, except Sam went a bit quick and on some strange racing line that meant he went off onto the grass, the next lap Sam was not to be seen, he explained he just didn't have the legs tonight so sat up to be caught by the remains of the breakaway, Matt and I had 12 laps out of the 37 left to complete, so bring on the pain as we piled on the effort to stay away, sharing the turns evenly, so when it came down to the last lap I could have attacked but went for the long windup, which to be honest is risking it all in spite of the sprint I can do when needed, just thought it would be more fair this way tonight, I still had Matt on my wheel right up to the line because as I checked he was glued to it, but my legs proved strong enough to not have to get out of the saddle, couldn't if I wanted to at that point anyway. Matt said he tried to sprint past but couldn't and that was my intention anyway, so for anyone watching it was a close finish.
The battle started when I got home as my wife had been to Blockbuster and rented two DVD's and was just about to hit play when I walked through the door, asked what she was about to watch and said can she wait while I have a quick shower, so sat down with my dinner and commenced to watch another Clint Eastwood directed film, this being Letters from Iwo Jima. I am well and truly battered know after watching that, my wife gave up over some of the scenes, but emotional or what, maybe because I was tired already it affected me more.
Anyway about to try some SIS Nocte night time recovery drink that came free with a shop copy of 220 triathlon magazine, I pilferred this as I opened the mail at work today, no doubt Jules will have me up for this as he will read this post as well, product testing is all I can say, Nighty night....

No comments: