Sunday 29 July 2007

Sutton Town Centre races

Nice day out for me today, meet Sam in Herne Hill at 1:15pm and rode out to Sutton so as to watch the womans National Circuit race series and then for me to partake in the Elite invitational race at 3:45pm.
We set up outside Starbucks on the finish straight right in the middle of the shopping area, all barricaded off for the races. We watched the progress of the race while drinking coffee and eating chocolate muffins. After the finish of the womans race I went and signed on then proceded to warm up on the course, our race was only to be a very short 30 minutes plus 5 laps.
Small but good field had assembled in the sunshine so with the drop of the flag we were racing, tried to ease into it but attacks from the gun had the field stretched with one rider away already, going to be intense and that was what it proved to be. I did my best to regain the solo rider, took me longer than I hoped but it did also seperate 3 of us away from the field, so we had 4 in total away, put some digs in but actually found the circuit challenging, well OK my legs not as strong as I thought so had to ride more tactically aware.
We for the most part were keeping close tabs on each other so at times the pace dropped right back, that actually allowed a chasing rider to catch us and in the confusion I told him to ride on past as the others in the break thought he was a lapped rider regaining a lap, once they realised the chase was back on, which was not so good for said rider as we blitzted past him on the climb and he had no response at all, with 6 laps to go I attacked, thought I had done enough so when I got counter attacked I was actually dropped by my break away companions, with 3 laps left I had regained after some discomfort chasing, sat on until the last lap were again I tried just past the finish line but legs failed me so led down the hill in front, so when Ross Muir took my postion with 2 corners to go I was releaved as it is a long uphill drag to the line and I did not want to missjudge my sprint, or have to do to much, like try to get round 3 riders on such a narrow finish staight.
About opposite Starbucks I luanched into my sprint to be unchalleged to the line, gave a quick glance over my shoulder before lifting my arms into the air to savior the victory of the race. Well pleased with my form once again.
Spent the rest of the afternoon with other riders and hangers on at Starbucks, chatting in the late afternoon sun, while the last of the days races was run off.
I won a nice cut glass trophy and recieved two medals(not sure why I got two, but what the heck) and a nice small bunch of flowers that I presented to my wife once home as she was unable to come and watch today.
Had a nice easy ride back home taking about 40 minutes and then finished by doing my stretches before watching the Tour de France highlights on ITV4 at 7pm.

No comments: