Thursday 12 July 2007

Guildford Town Centre race

Last night was the Guildford Town centre race, This is the race I have won for the last two years, I tryed as hard as I could but having only just recovered from a headcold I had lost a little of my top end, legs were strong though.
This most be one of the UK's hardest circuits at only 600m and three corners you could think what could be that hard, well add in the cobbles on the High street and the narrow paved Market Street leading onto the High Street, you get no rest anywere after climbing to the start finish line to do it all again on average every 50seconds per lap.
I had a slow start for me on this circuit, about 25 place so had a bit of work to do, but I was moving up 2-3 places per lap using the 2nd corner as my passing place by running round the outside of the bunch by not braking at all.
I really felt the effort required on this course tonight. best to stay as smooth as possable, found myself in a group of 7 leading the race. Had 3 PCA Plowman Craven riders, Tony Gibb,James Millard and Gordon McCauley, Jamie Newall(Evens cycles)Ross Muir from Rapha Condor, Wouter Sybrandy (Agiskover) .
I didn't have the legs to attack like normal but was able to put some hard efforts in just in case someone wasn't paying attention and let a gap go, but that wasn't happening with ~PCA marking my everymove, in the end when Gordon attacked with 10 laps I was hoping to bridge across, but as I have said I did not have the the top end I needed to sustain such an effort, so after 3 laps chasing and holding the gap at 8 seconds I was spent, so sat up and then tagged onto the back of the group. Jamie then did a couple of fierce laps, nearly had me dropped off going up the High Street .
With 2 laps to go I made my way to the front for one fast and furious last lap in the hope no-one would attempt to get by me, but I guess racing makes people do things so I was boxed out into the 2nd corner just as we caught the bunch, well what remained a lap down or two, Tony tried to ride through them with Ross on his wheel, I let them as I turned hard left and railed up the left side of the High Street unopposed to take 2nd place, getting past all of the lapped riders in the process, Totally cooked, had to ignore the commentator to do an extra warm down lap to get my breath back.
Have to thank the orginsers and sponsors for getting this race on the calander again, thank you!
Seemed to recover quickly which is a good sign and legs feel fine today as well, all good for Fridays race in Blackpool, long drive, 5 hours or so.
Must go to bed, later.

1 comment:

Ian Paine said...

More pictures of race at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianpaine/sets/72157600768270982/