Saturday 4 August 2007

Abergavenny Elite Circuit Race Report

Abergavenny Elite Circuit Series Criterium

(Taken from the British Cycling Website, edited the spelling of my name, as spelt wrong again and uncensored a quote)

August 3, 2007; Abergavenny
Report & Images by Larry Hickmott

Report

20070803_Abergavenny_Crit_07

In darkness, Simon Gaywood outsprints Warrick Spence for the win at Abergavenny and strengthen his lead in the series.


British Cycling’s Elite Circuit Race Series leader, Simon Gaywood, was the winner of the Abergavenny round of the Elite Circuit Series tonight (Friday, August 3). Gaywood (Plowman Craven/Evans Cycles) and Warrick Spence (Cyclefit-Serotta) got away within a few laps of the hour long circuit race and the rest of the field never saw them again.

First to chase them was Simon Holt of the Recycling.co.uk team but with the leaders travelling as fast as the tight circuit would allow, the youngster was unable to close the gap and after a half a dozen laps on his own, was caught by the much slimmed down chase group. With sixty riders on the start sheet, within a dozen laps, that was halved and the chase group was soon only a dozen strong. Even after only a single lap, the field had split, so quick was the gas turned on.

Despite numerous attempts by riders to get away, the chase group stayed intact until the closing laps, when first Gordon McCauley and then Russell Downing attacked. It was the Healthnet rider who timed it right and although he had a race on Sunday on his mind, he managed to stay away to take the final podium place and strengthen his place in the table despite losinglose points to the leader Gaywood.

With just a few minutes to spare before the Podium presentation, we caught up with Gaywood who has not only won a round of the Premier Calendar but also three rounds of the Circuit Series so far. “I was surprised it went so early. As soon as Warrick went to the front, I thought here we go again. ‘Mr speedy round the corners’; so I latched right on the back wheel of him and looked behind and there was a gap. I saw a few guys trying to get across but it was shit or bust and I started working with Warrick.”

“I could see them trying to get across but no-one was able to manage it and we just continued to open the gap (almost lapping the field). The race for us was nice and smooth and I felt good through the corners. The first two laps I was about five back and it was a bit scary as it was hard to see where you were going not knowing the circuit to start with so there were a few dodgy moments so it was a lot nicer off the front.”

A rider well known for his ability in circuit races, Warrick Spence said afterwards: “that was good with Simon. We got into a really good groove and I wasn’t sure if there was going to be a serious chase after us but as we were working on the limit from the word go, there was no way the bunch could go any quicker than we were going round here.”

“We worked well round here and I was thinking in the race, how I am going to be able to outsprint a sprinter like Simon -- I couldn’t!” On the circuit, Warrick had this to say “it was alright, the scariest bit was the corner down here (at the end of the start/finish straight, right angle right hander). Simon had that sussed from the word go. The rest of the circuit is surprisingly flowing, really good, good fun.”

Third place getter Russell Downing spoke to us after the presentation saying “the race was good for me. Warrick and Simon went early and I got a bad start. As they were calling the top 10 in the series to the front, everyone just jumped and I probably ended up 15th back and had to take some crazy risks in the first few corners and by the time I had got to the front, it had gone.”

“Plowman did a brilliant job of marking everyone out and to be honest we (those not in Plowman!) could have done with some more guys in there as there were guys in there not attacking it. Plowman in the end only had two in there and we could have done with everyone joining together and attacking it more and not letting them (Plowman) ride at the front.”

“I was trying to attack as much as I could early on and then knew I wasn’t getting anywhere and I thought I’d save the legs and do a big one when it counted and it stuck. I was thinking of Sunday early on when I was attacking and thought I don’t want an hour of this and went and sat at the back.”

“When I was trying to get away, I was taking a few too many risks and where the twisty corners were, a couple of guys stepped out at me (from the side) and I was like, woooh. On one of my attacks, Tony drifted and I had made my mind up to go and we almost clashed on the barriers so then I thought back off because Sunday (Road Race Championship) is a big objective and want to do a good ride there”.

“I’ll be getting out there tomorrow and having a good look (at the course) and see what happens. It’s the national champs and anything can happen. You need a bit of luck like I did when I won it.”

20070803_Abergavenny_Crit_05

The Get Connected business solution girls flank the top three, Warrick Spence, Simon Gaywood and Russell Downing. Also present is the Mayor of Abergavenny and Chair of Monouthshire.

Results (provisional)


Elite Race

1. Simon Gaywood, Plowman Craven/Evans Cycles
2. Warrick Spence, Cyclefit-Serotta
3. Russell Downing, Healthnet-Maxxis @44 seconds
4. Malcolm Elliott, Pinarello, @ 48 seconds
5. Tom Barras, Merlin
6. Dean Downing, Rapha Condor
7. Tom Murray, Kinesis
8. Tony Gibb, Plowman Craven/Evans Cycles
9. James Taylor, Plowman Craven/Evans Cycles
10. Simon Holt, Recycling.co.uk
11. Gordon McCauley, Plowman Craven/Evans Cycles
12. Ross Muir, Rapha Condor
13. Stephen Adams, Merlin
14. Shaun Snodden, Recycling.co.uk @51
15. Andy Tinsley, Bioracer, Omnipex @53
16. James Millard, Plowman Craven/Evans Cycles 1.03


No comments: