Monday 18 February 2008

Bloody freezing

Met up with Mark Neep from GPM10, Jay and Andrew Hunter on Saturday morning at Roehampton Gate at 9.15am to get some social laps of Richmond park in, very cold but well wrapped up so all OK.
Fantastic bright and clear day to be out riding, plenty of cyclists out as well. we kept a nice steady tempo for the 5 laps that we did, more than what could be said about the two separate groups of London Dynamo riders that blasted past us with riders getting blown out the back, what's the point in that on such a cold early season ride, no working as a group at all, just destroy as many as posable, great idea, need to save it for racing and when it is warmer.
Anyway we had Ronan from Cyclefit join us for a lap, must say he looked a little under dressed, with just arm warmers and short sleeve top on, he gradually got colder and colder, even when sitting in the cafe having a tea and a unhealthy bacon roll he was cold. needed that bacon roll as I was flagging on the 5th lap.
Rode back with Ronan towards Kingston Gate, he attacked Test Hill in a vain attempt to get some heat into himself, I left him at the gate and finished off my 6th lap before cruising home along the emabankment in the sunshine. Felt good but a little flat in regards my legs.
Sunday saw me get up at 6.30am so I could meet Sam at 7.30 for us to meet some London Dynamos and ride out to Chertsey for the Beginners race series, I was out to offer advice in the two 2 lap introduction to racing etc while riding, getting the new riders used to rider in a bunch etc, then sat on towing dropped riders back to the main field in the 8 lap race, find it good fun, probable because I can do all this in my small chainring, even the 27 miles per hour down the home straight.
I was not allowed to race in the main even which was an 80km bunch handiacp race because of my full length mudguards on my training bike, but I was allowed to tag on and work but not have any influence on the outcome, so sat on for 3 laps with the Elites and 1st cat riders then started sharing the work by doing some threw and off, we caught the main field as it had all come together after 10 laps of hard chasing, I then found that my legs were feeling the effort even considering it was steady again and I could sit on, so did 3 more laps and pulled out, basically I had done a little over half race distance, enough for me, also had been riding for three and a half hours up to that point.
So went and got a nice cup of hot tea and a flap jack from the HQ, chatted to riders about there experience of racing in the 4th cat race earlier in the morning, then watched the finish of the main race.
A break had got away about half race distance and slowly pulled away from the main field, by the end it was down to a 7 man sprint with one rider coming off while aiming for the win, instead he slid up to the line and still got 5th, bike was further down the road. all on video. He was fine, lucky he had plenty of layers on as he had chewed up his race jersey in the crash.
Had to wait for Sam to recover before riding back to London, very tired by know.
Got home at 4.10pm after 5.40hrs of riding during the day, had lunch, then a nap and 45 minutes after that I had dinner.
Biggest week of riding this year, also the coldest for riding, feel good and tired.
struggling to keep my eyes open sitting here typing this in with my two fingers.
thats all from me, have a good night
Warrick

1 comment:

Mr Average said...

Hi Warrick,

Good to read your blog, great effort, and reassuring to know that even you get tired...!

I think you live on the end of my road, so I'll give you a wave next time I see you..

I'm a VC of ACC, and hope to do some basic RR this year, as a 4th cat. I'm getting a 'Mr Average' makeover courtesy of of CW/ Hannah, and off to see to Darren B. of FORM, at CF today to work out how to lose 4kg.

Keep up blog, and good luck with the racing !