Monday 12 January 2009

winter grit

On Sunday went out with Stephen, over the north downs, lots of snow from the day before, even though it was a warmer day, nice and sunny, still icy in places though.
Did my normal route, Woldingham,Crowhurst,Edenbridge, Hever, Toys hill, Idle Hill, Westerham, Pilgrams lane,Sundridge, Knockholt, Cudlam Downe and back via corkscrew hill.Encountered lots of ice and snow on Sundridge Lane even though we only encountered that part of the ride in the afternoon, looked like deep snow drifts from the day before, stays shady all day.
My legs felt tired but when it came to climbing the really steep climbs I went up in a gear higher than normal, all while seated, so the power is there.
Feel good, but do notice I have a patch at about 2.5- 3 hours when I feel crap, once through I am fine. Maybe because I try not to stop and am always pedalling, even the down hills.
One thing is for sure though, when all the ice melts and riding on farm tracks can get very dirty as the pics I took once home will testify. Not nice hearing your chain grinding away at the cassette etc as it is caked in grit.
Gave my bike a good wash and clean after while it was still sunny, used my chain cleaner device to get the grit out from between the chain links, bike looks like new again.
Was thinking I could get a gentle spin in today, being Monday before it started raining, but I was so tired I only got up at 10am.
So that went out the window, went to the cinema instead and watched Yes man with Jim Carey, thought it was OK.
Need to get out on my mountain bike this week before the race on Sunday, just to dial into the slight position change with hand placement etc.



Still have this cough from new years lingering on, only has an effect once I start to exercise, so just let it be.

1 comment:

Ade Merckx said...

Hey glad your back Warrick. Keep em coming!