Monday 5 May 2008

Glider Track bike



On saturday I took my new white and red Glider track bike to Herne Hill for the induction session as I have not been on the track for a long time. There appeared to be plenty of 1st timers making the most of the supplied bikes. All very basic but good to go over all this again, for me it's more so that I get familiar with the fixed before I start chasing or sprinting, can be pretty hair raising the 1st time you get bucked off the bike.
Anyway it was a fantastic Saturday morning, at first I thought I was over geared on 49 x 15 but that was more to do with the controlled pace we maintained even when at the top of the banking, quite a lot of grip at Herne Hill for a concrete surface.
We all passed the induction so were allowed to continue on with the following training session for £3.00 from 11am to 1pm
This was made up of most of the morning group and a hell of a lot of other riders on fancy bikes, about 80-90 on the track, so it was split up into 3 groups, 2 groups pulled of onto the grass in the centre of the track and the group left out did a 12 lap training race. Kept swapping over so I think we managed 3 12 lap racers and then had an all in at the end.
I found these good but kept wishing I had a bigger gear for the sprint. Everyone else was running similar gearing so more a case of a lack of leg speed, kept getting top 4 placings but maxed out, all good, will be good once I start racing more at the track as I am hoping the extra speed will help on the road.
After 3 and a half hours in the sun without a drink or food I was toasted, didn't think I was going to stay for the whole session as I had had a few beers the night before and had to get up early to collect Track bike from work, feel so much better for making the effort to attend this weekend, really enjoyed it and look forward to getting my arse whipped on the monday league events and the Thursday Derny paced training that everyone recommended would help me with my criterium racing.
Also good to see so many youngsters giving it a go.

No comments: